There are few things that are better than a really well-made caesar salad. It is a classic salad that is served almost everywhere. I created this dressing to cut the oil, egg and dairy you find in most. I added a bit of ginger to the caesar salad for a little zing and I wanted to stay away from the high sodium of Worcestershire sauce. I really enjoy this with thinly sliced whole-grain bread croutons and shaved radish.
I suggest making this caesar salad and putting it on the table for your friends and family to enjoy. Once they love it, then you can tell them its Killer Food and is oil and egg free…
Caesar Salad with Whole-Grain Bread Croutons
|Caesar Salad w/whole-grain bread croutons|
- 1 teaspoon capers rinsed well
- 2 teaspoons low sodium tamari
- 1 lemon zested and juiced
- 1 tablespoon dry mustard powder
- 1 tablespoon yellow miso paste
- 1 tablespoon ginger root grated
- 1 tablespoon dry thyme
- 1 tablespoon dry parsley
- 2 tablespoon dry chives
- 3 tablespoons garlic chopped
- 3 tablespoons dried fruit paste or 1 1/2 tablespoons honey
- 1/2 cup nutritional yeast
- 1/2 cup red wine vinegar
- 2 cups firm tofu
- Season with freshly cracked black peppercorns
- Combine all ingredients except for capers and garlic in a food processor or blender.
- Starting on a low-speed blend the ingredients until almost smooth.
- Add garlic and capers and pulse a few times until the mixture has a nice texture. It should be smooth.
- Toss with shredded romaine hearts.
Serve with toasted whole grain bread croutons.
Remember, “Food is life, and life is great!”