I really enjoy making salsa. When I need a quick topping for sweet potato tacos, or even to put on top of baked potatoes, I pull out the blender and whip this up.
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1-2 dates (Pitted)
- 2 cloves of garlic (peeled)
- 3 green onions
- 1/2 bunch of cilantro (stems and leaves)
- 2 cans Muir Glen NSA fire roasted tomatoes
- 1 poblano chile
- 2 jalapeños
- black pepper to taste (freshly ground)
- In your blender container add 1 can of the tomatoes
- Split the chiles in half lengthwise and add them to the blender.
- Add the garlic, dates, cilantro, ground cumin and green onions
- Place the lid on the blender and quickly pulse to get all of the ingredients incorporated.
- Add the remaining can of tomatoes and puree the salsa until it is as smooth or chunky as you prefer.
- Season your salsa with black pepper as needed.
For a more mild salsa: remove the seeds from all or some of the chiles.
I like to add a few dashes of smoked hot paprika or chipotle powder to boost the smokey flavor of the salsa. If you are using the chipotle powder be aware it will add heat!